Psalm 45:10-11, 13-15

Listen to me, O royal daughter; take heart to what I say. Forget your people and your homeland far away. For your royal husband delights in your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. [...] The bride, a princess, waits within her chambers, dressed in a gown woven with gold. In her beautiful robes, she is led to the king, accompanied by her bridesmaids. What a joyful, enthusiastic procession as they enter the king's palace!



Ultimate Blog Party 2009

Monday, January 14, 2008

Persuasion

If I may, so long as the woman you love lives, and lives for you, all the privilege I claim for my own sex, and it is not a very enviable one - you need not covet it, is that of loving longest when all hope is gone.
- Anne Elliot, Jane Austen's Persuasion

Last night was the first installment of The Complete Jane Austen on PBS. The adaptation of Persuasion was the first of Austen's six novels to be aired. This is my short and quick review. It was good, but not so complete. Persuasion isn't one of my favorite Austen novels, but it's still a good novel. The film went by too quickly not allowing the build-up between Captain Wentworth and Anne. Mr. Elliot (the cousin) was introduced quickly and seemed a little shoved in there. For a 90-minute production it was entertaining and only really lacked in the lack of story development, otherwise it was a good film. Other than Anne and Wentworth, the characters were very minor. Though like I told my husband last night, it was good but if it was my favorite of Austen's novels (like Mansfield Park), I would have been disappointed.


No comments: