Psalm 45:10-11, 13-15

Listen to me, O royal daughter; take heart to what I say. Forget your people and your homeland far away. For your royal husband delights in your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. [...] The bride, a princess, waits within her chambers, dressed in a gown woven with gold. In her beautiful robes, she is led to the king, accompanied by her bridesmaids. What a joyful, enthusiastic procession as they enter the king's palace!



Ultimate Blog Party 2009

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Mini Review: Northanger Abbey


(Sorry, there wasn't any good Northanger Abbey videos.)


So, Sunday night we watched Northanger Abbey and I enjoyed it. I still think it was short for an Austen novel, but it did keep up with the fast tempo of Northanger Abbey. I enjoyed the interaction between Catherine and Mr. Tilney. And Isabella had her rightful place as the untrustworthy, annoying friend while General Tilney fulfilled his role as the creepy older gentleman whose agenda remained unknown until nearly the very end.

On the whole I enjoyed it more than Persuasion, but Northanger is a much different type of story than Persuasion. One thing I wish there had been more of was the element of the Gothic that's in the novel in the movie. The Gothic elements that were there, mainly Catherine's novel fantasies, were flighty, sparse, and awkward. I enjoyed the film and would recommend it. Though I am so looking forward to Mansfield Park on Sunday. That is my favorite novel and the video clips I have seen do look good.

Oh, I hope so.

No comments: