Psalm 45:10-11, 13-15

Listen to me, O royal daughter; take heart to what I say. Forget your people and your homeland far away. For your royal husband delights in your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. [...] The bride, a princess, waits within her chambers, dressed in a gown woven with gold. In her beautiful robes, she is led to the king, accompanied by her bridesmaids. What a joyful, enthusiastic procession as they enter the king's palace!



Ultimate Blog Party 2009

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

My *Epic* Introduction

I'm a 20-something living in Southern California married to a wonderful man. I grew up in the USMC, so I've moved 10 times-- Cherry Point (NC), Iwakuni (Japan), Beaufort (SC), Spotslyvania (VA), Irvine (CA), San Diego (CA), Iwakuni (Japan), Rock Hill (SC), Julian (CA), and finally back to San Diego. And lived in 16 different houses! Whew!


I'm Native American and Welsh. My dad is 100% Indian (which means I'm a half-breed) and we're from the Lumbee tribe. Not well known, but it's the 9
th largest tribe in the country. And if you go to Lumberton, NC you'll find more Indians than you will white people (I hope that doesn't offend anyone).

As of now, I'm an assistant teacher at a Christian Montessori school. It's a pretty nifty gig. The kids are sometimes, well kids. And the staff are sometimes, well human. I've worked there three years now and I enjoy the Montessori philosophy and how it benefits the child. (And no Montessori isn't a cult or super strict or wild 'n crazy!) In February, I started working part-time as my husband and I are taking steps to building our family.
(We hit a rough spot in the fall after a miscarriage.)

Before entering Montessori world, I worked for a year at a Christian boarding school for behaviorally rebellious teenage girls, and before that I was a college student pursuing a degree in English/Secondary Education which I never finished. Why? I made the choice upon entering college that I would not take out student loans. So, I'm going against the flow debt free and degreeless. (Soapbox: ...which doesn't mean I'm not an uneducated person. There are plenty of people out there with degrees who aren't very well educated, or at least don't act like it.)


My hobbies? I love to read, write, scrapbook, and sew (although I don't get to it too often). I'm also a junior high youth leader at my church (going on five years now!), and contrary to popular belief these are not horrible years.

Other random things about me? I like ellipses. Which are these little things...I like Law & Order:SVU is fascinating, even though it freaks me out sometimes. I'm a Biggest Loser fan (and secretly, America's Next Top Model). Oh, and I've been know to have a foot/shoe fetish.

No comments: