Psalm 45:10-11, 13-15

Listen to me, O royal daughter; take heart to what I say. Forget your people and your homeland far away. For your royal husband delights in your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. [...] The bride, a princess, waits within her chambers, dressed in a gown woven with gold. In her beautiful robes, she is led to the king, accompanied by her bridesmaids. What a joyful, enthusiastic procession as they enter the king's palace!



Ultimate Blog Party 2009

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Works-for-Me Wednesday Backsward Day


Here's my thing...I've been married for almost a year now and have not yet had to clean our oven. But after my hubby made some ribs a while back and the juiciness spilled over, now we get a slightly burnt smell when we use our oven. So, I reckon it's time to clean it, but here's my problem...I don't know how!

Are there any products I shoudln't use? Is there a certain way to go about it?

Help, please!

6 comments:

mom23 said...

I really want to watch this post today and see what answers you get. The chemical stuff in the store scares me. And so does the self-cleaning feature (not to mention not very green).

I was told several times to liberally sprinkle baking soda all over the oven and then spray it sporadically with water. Continue spraying for a number of hours. And then it was supposed to come off fairly easily w/ a good scraping. Well, this was shortly after we moved into a rental duplex and this was the caked on junk from previous owners. So, its still not how I want it. But, it was really really gross. For normal oven nastiness, this may work!

Krista said...

Do you have a self-clean feature on your oven? If so, run it, then clean out the ash. Take the racks out before you do this, though.

Baking soda and moisture soften a lot of things, and it does take time. Careful with scraping; you don't want to scratch the enamel in your oven. Scrape with a nonmetal tool.

Once it's clean, get an oven liner. There are silicone and coated oven liners to get...try a kitchenware store...or just throw some foil down there under the element.

Unknown said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog.

I oven clean as infrequently as possible, but if I have to, I am afraid I just buy the chemicals, spray it on, and don't inhale!

It works, but I am sure there are more environmentally friendly options.

Niki Jolene said...

Hmmm...our oven has a self-cleaning feature. It stinks really bad and lets off lots of fumes so we have to head outdoors while we do it. Does your oven have this? Check before you put any cleansers in there because if it does doing so could damage your oven!

Anonymous said...

Once upon a very long time ago, my mom had the most amazing self-cleaning oven that would incinerate any mess quickly, efficiently, cheaply, and other than using electricity, "greenly" since it used no chemicals. They don't make self-cleaning ovens like that anymore! Grrr! I don't like the fumes of the chemicals and they don't clean that well anyway. Make do with them as best you can to clean up the rib mess, but from now on, never clean your oven again! Be free by using foil on the bottom especially, but also the sides as things can splash. Also cover your foods whenever possible with a lid or more foil.

Jane said...

I use dryer sheets to clean the oven. In fact I had one soaking in the dryer today, and forgot! Oops dh turned on the oven to preheat and cooked it! The mess cleaned right up and the house smells terrific. But, to do it right, just let it sit for a few minutes and wipe up the mess without cooking. LOL No chemicals and it really works!