Psalm 45:10-11, 13-15

Listen to me, O royal daughter; take heart to what I say. Forget your people and your homeland far away. For your royal husband delights in your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. [...] The bride, a princess, waits within her chambers, dressed in a gown woven with gold. In her beautiful robes, she is led to the king, accompanied by her bridesmaids. What a joyful, enthusiastic procession as they enter the king's palace!



Ultimate Blog Party 2009

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Frugal Friday: Scrapbook Embellishments

Since one of my goals for this year (hopefully, the next 2 to 3 months) is to start a scrapbooking blog/Etsy store, I'm working to shift my focus on Frugal Fridays toward that purpose. And since scrapbooking is such a pricey industry this is one way I hope to inspire people to scrapbook and keep scrapbooking that benefits them financially as well as aesthetically (<-- Can I just say this was one of my favorite words to use in college papers. It's beautiful.).

Frugal Scrapbooking Tip of the Week


Make your own chipboard embellishments. When I first thought about doing this I thought it was too hard. Guess what? It's not. It's actually pretty simple. The hardest part comes with cutting the chipboard. (Not quite sure what chipboard is? Find out here.)


How to Make Chipboard Embellishments:

Supplies You'll Need:
  • chipboard
  • paper
  • pencil
  • scissors
  • a distressing tool (sandpaper or an emery board)
  • stencil or shape (to trace)
  • adhesive
Step-by-Step

  1. Trace your shape onto your chipboard. You can also do this freehand.
  2. Once you've traced your shapes cut it out.
  3. Using your adhesive, adhere your chipboard to your paper and then cut it again.
  4. If you prefer to keep the edges crisp looking skip the distressing step. (I do it because it makes the little mistakes in cutting go away.) Take your distressing tool and gently sand the edges. This is where making sure your object is soundly adhered is important, otherwise your paper may move during the distressing.
Voila! You're done!

The best thing about this method is that even if you aren't a big scrapbooker with lots of supplies on hand you can still make these. One thing I want to try: homemade chipboard alphabets. Now that will take some time and patience!

Have fun scrapping!

3 comments:

Niki Jolene said...

Thanks for sharing!

I am an avid scrapper too and I have been challenging myself to buy cheaper materials and embellishments this year. I make a lot of my own tags and journal block...chipboard accents would be fun to try!

Anonymous said...

Hey hears a good tip if your a book worm or even if your not. You should check out the book "Budget Scrapbooking" by Memory Makers. I'm not in to books of anything, but I love this BOOK! They have a lot of books you should check out.

I'm a fellow scrap booker too, but on my blog I have a book I'm writing!Check it out!

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

Great tip! :) Hopefully I'll have some time to try it out this weekend. Thanks! :)
Blessings,
Michele :)