Psalm 45:10-11, 13-15

Listen to me, O royal daughter; take heart to what I say. Forget your people and your homeland far away. For your royal husband delights in your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. [...] The bride, a princess, waits within her chambers, dressed in a gown woven with gold. In her beautiful robes, she is led to the king, accompanied by her bridesmaids. What a joyful, enthusiastic procession as they enter the king's palace!



Ultimate Blog Party 2009

Thursday, October 02, 2008

Christmas is coming...

the goose is getting fat, Please put a penny in the old man's hat
If you have no penny, then half-a-penny will do
If you have no half-a-penny, then God bless you

Can you believe that Christmas is only 12 weeks away! Twelve weeks! That's 85 days! Like I mentioned yesterday, I've already got a start on some of our homemade Christmas presents. Making presents, for me, is so much more enjoyable than simply going out with a list or picking something off a shelf. You have to know someone to be able to give them a homemade gift--know what they'd like, things they might it enjoy, etc. Yes, it means more time is involved, but for me the time is worth it. And it's always easier to make presents for the ladies, than the menfolk. (I guess it's really no different than shopping for men either...). I guess you could say, we've kind of adopted the Buy Nothing Christmas mentality (aside from buying supplies to make gifts). It's an interesting concept: stray from consumerism, simplify Christmas, and celebrate Christ.

Some other things I'm interested in doing this year (or I've found interesting and may wait until another year):

  • The Jesse Tree - Taking an Old Testament approach to Christmas. The name is derived from Isaiah 11:1: "A shoot will spring forth from the stump of Jesse, and a branch out of his roots."
  • The Twelve Days of Christmas - I found this out recently and thought it was interesting. This song originated as way to teach children the catechism during a time of persecution in 16th century England.
  • Celebrating the Advent Season - While I didn't grow up in liturgical churches, I think there's a lot to be said about church history and meaningful holidays in these traditions. This is one I've been doing the last few years...although many times I've forgotten to light the advent candles. Little things. I really like the meaning, so to speak, around Advent because of it's focus on the anticipation and hope of Christ's first and second coming. And my favorite Christmas song is O Come, O Come Emmanuel, which fits the spirit of Advent so well.
Other Christmas links:

No comments: