Psalm 45:10-11, 13-15

Listen to me, O royal daughter; take heart to what I say. Forget your people and your homeland far away. For your royal husband delights in your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. [...] The bride, a princess, waits within her chambers, dressed in a gown woven with gold. In her beautiful robes, she is led to the king, accompanied by her bridesmaids. What a joyful, enthusiastic procession as they enter the king's palace!



Ultimate Blog Party 2009

Monday, June 16, 2008

Literary Meme

My friend April "tagged me," so here goes...

Who is your all-time favorite author and why?
Jane Austen. Why? She's like the fly on the wall who not only explains all the happenings in the house, but knows the inward thoughts of all. What I love about her is her sense of humor and her intelligence in looking into the human race, but not only that she had a great deal of feeling. She takes normal emotions and explores those that possess them. Then there's always the question, how could she write such compelling stories of love and never married? Which leads to the questioning of a certain young Irish man's attentions, Tom Lefroy.

I think what I find so interesting about literature in general is it really is the exploration of the human mind and experiences. It's an opportunity to look at life in another realm and experience than your own. For me, it's almost the study of people and I think Austen did a superb job of that.

Who was your first favorite author and why? Do you still consider him/her to be among your favorites?
Probably the authors of the American Girl series. I've always been interested in what life was like for people back in ___fill in the blank___, especially in relation to history. I grew up on the east coast, so seeing historic landmarks for the Revolutionary and Civil Wars it was much easier to be sucked into the idea and wonder of the old South. I mean, who couldn't fall in love with plantations? Then, I found the idea of traveling west to the unknown and its trials fascinating.

Who is the most recent addition to your list of favorite authors, and why?
Flannery O'Connor. She's unconventional (esp. for her time and religion), yet writes the truth of human nature.

If someone asked you who your favorite authors were right now, which authors would first pop out of your mouth?
Jane Austen and Elisabeth Elliot (She holds nothing back when it comes to the Truth. She's not afraid of offending someone's opinion, and she doesn't feel the need to write in a flowery words to appeal to women. I love that about her!)

...then Louisa May Alcott (and not just Little Women, you have to read the short stories that couldn't be published under her own name)



My Tagees:

Joe: My Family's Money

Mom: Rockville Down South

Brandon (Bro): Brandon Oxendine

(I guess I don't know that many bloggers for "real.")


Rules

  • Link to the person that tagged you.
  • Post the rules somewhere in your meme.
  • Answer the questions.
  • Tag six people in your post.
  • Let the tagees know they’ve been chosen by leaving a comment on their blog.
  • Let the tagger know your entry is posted.

No comments: