Psalm 45:10-11, 13-15

Listen to me, O royal daughter; take heart to what I say. Forget your people and your homeland far away. For your royal husband delights in your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. [...] The bride, a princess, waits within her chambers, dressed in a gown woven with gold. In her beautiful robes, she is led to the king, accompanied by her bridesmaids. What a joyful, enthusiastic procession as they enter the king's palace!



Ultimate Blog Party 2009

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Happy Father's Day

  • Don't be a knucklehead. This is something my dad would say to me almost whenever I left the house as a teenager. I always interpreted it as don't do something you're going to regret later.
  • Always remember who you represent. This was another wise saying I heard often growing up, "Remember who you represent." God first, family second, and country third. So, I knew that whenever I walked out of my house whatever came out of my mouth or actions I did would reflect on people's view of my God, my family, and my country.
  • Snot is better with salt. Don't worry, I've never tried it.
  • Don't sign your name like you know somebody, sign your name like you are somebody.
  • HONOR, COURAGE, COMMITMENT. Enough said.
  • Take a stand for something.
  • Be proactive. Do something, don't sit around waiting for it to get done for you.
  • Live above reproach. What this reminds me of today is the tag line for Drug Free America commercials: live above the influence. Don't be conformed to the world. Live a life where people don't have to question your intentions or standards. "Live a life worthy of the calling you have received" (Eph. 4:1)...one of my favorite verses.
  • Forced Family Entertainment (FFE). These weren't always loved outings by us kids, but necessary. My parents decided to make family a priority, so we actually had to spend time together and go do stuff. You know, be a family. What an amazing concept! And you know what? In the end, we actually had fun!
  • Know what you believe. This is one my parents taught without ever specifically saying so. Don't believe something just because you are told it's true. Seek it for yourself. Make your own decisions and assumptions about life and Truth, don't piggyback on someone else's thoughts. Know what you believe and why.
  • Always continue to grow. In my college years, my dad said something to me once that I wish more people heard. It was something to the affect of "It doesn't matter what you ultimately do [as a job or study], but always seek to better yourself." That's always struck a chord with me. Don't stop. Continue to strive for excellence. Continue to be better today than you were yesterday.

It's interesting that as of late many of the random musings I've had are based on my upbringing and the life lessons I learned under the leadership of my parents. (Even though this is for my dad, I had two parents who worked together in raising me. Here's to you mom, too!)

Excellence, virtue, honor, respect. Sometimes these characteristics make it hard for me to be tolerant of those who live otherwise. I've grown-up in unique circumstances. I've been privilege to a view of the world and mankind few see. I've been blessed with parents who made a difference. Parents who chose discipline and set standards of excellence in life and behavior, not because they were harsh dictators but because they saw that it would produce lasting fruit.

And as I look back on my life and think of ways my parents taught me without words, the overarching theme can be summed up in these verses

"Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do,
do all to the glory of God. [...] Whatever you do,
do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men."
1 Corinthians 10:31, Colossians 3:23

Happy Father's Day!

Love,
Jess

No comments: