Psalm 45:10-11, 13-15

Listen to me, O royal daughter; take heart to what I say. Forget your people and your homeland far away. For your royal husband delights in your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. [...] The bride, a princess, waits within her chambers, dressed in a gown woven with gold. In her beautiful robes, she is led to the king, accompanied by her bridesmaids. What a joyful, enthusiastic procession as they enter the king's palace!



Ultimate Blog Party 2009

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Jimmy O: My Thoughts

After I found out that PawPaw had passed on from this life to the next I felt disoriented, sober, and busy. I remember putting my son in his crib and looking at him, telling him we were going on a trip soon. That PawPaw had died and was in heaven with Jesus. He just smiled.

But my heart choked and I could feel tears in my eyes. I felt a little lost, a little empty. I told him that PawPaw was in a better place, that he didn't hurt anymore.

And as I told Joey where PawPaw was, my eyes filled with tears, I knew PawPaw was in a much better place, even though his going hurts our hearts. I just imagine him standing in heaven--standing, no cane, no weak legs--looking across this vast expanse of light smiling. For "the city has no need of the sun or of the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God has illumined it, and its lamp is the Lamb" (Rev. 21:23).

And then, it got me. He's free. I am sad at his going, but he is free. It was as if suddenly I remembered that well-quoted verse, "and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away" (Rev. 21:4).

He is standing in the presence of Jesus! What better place is there to be? He is in the place where thousands upon thousands sing, continually, "Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing" (Rev. 5:12). He is there in the kingdom of the One who so graciously saved his soul.

Oh, Hope beyond us all! What hope would there be in death, what consolation, without the sacrifice of our Lord and Savior? Even more than this our hope, PawPaw's hope, is in the One who has overcome!

"O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?" (1 Cor. 15:55)

The grave has been conquered and victory is won. The power of sin and death are no more.

"Jesus has overcome, and the grave is overwhelmed.
Victory is won, He is risen from the dead!"
- I Will Rise, by Chris Tomlin

Standing free, our father, our grandfather, our dear friend is standing in the place where there is no need for light--for God is the Light--and sings, "Worthy is the Lamb!"

What a glorious place to be!

No comments: