Psalm 45:10-11, 13-15

Listen to me, O royal daughter; take heart to what I say. Forget your people and your homeland far away. For your royal husband delights in your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. [...] The bride, a princess, waits within her chambers, dressed in a gown woven with gold. In her beautiful robes, she is led to the king, accompanied by her bridesmaids. What a joyful, enthusiastic procession as they enter the king's palace!



Ultimate Blog Party 2009

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Practicing Hospitality: Chapter 2

Hospitality & Strangers

This book is redefining my view of hospitality (and how I practice it) more than I thought it would. It's challenging the way I currently practice hospitality and how I can be extending hospitality toward others.

Here are some questions from Lindsay at the book study:

1. How was your definition of hospitality re-defined after reading this chapter?
I really liked how the authors defined hospitality as "a daily pursuit because of our love for people, which flows out of our love for God." Hospitality is more about extending love, than just entertaining. Another thing that stood out to me was in biblical times people didn't necessarily have to have know the person to extend hospitality to them. I also like how they mentioned at the end of the chapter that hospitality is really a reflection of God's nature.

2. How can you begin to switch gears from focusing on “entertaining” to truly demonstrating Biblical love?
For starters, I've been trying to interact more with people I meet while I'm out and about. Instead of simply going through the check out register bored and seemingly impatient, my goal is to interact with clerk or others in line. You never know where a short conversation might lead. (I did this the other day at Michaels and the woman was a little shocked!)

3. How can you begin now to start including a variety of “strangers” into your hospitality practices?

The application process is hard for me at times. It requires getting past my regular way of thinking. But that is the point, isn't it? This could be ministering to the homeless with my church, making a meal for a busy family I know, and/or getting together a game night with old and new friends. (It feels like thinking of these shouldn't be this hard...)

You can join in on the book discussion over at Passionate Homemaking. It's good.

No comments: