Psalm 45:10-11, 13-15

Listen to me, O royal daughter; take heart to what I say. Forget your people and your homeland far away. For your royal husband delights in your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. [...] The bride, a princess, waits within her chambers, dressed in a gown woven with gold. In her beautiful robes, she is led to the king, accompanied by her bridesmaids. What a joyful, enthusiastic procession as they enter the king's palace!



Ultimate Blog Party 2009

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Entitlements: Let’s Get Real

Here are some basic entitlements that will hinder our growth1:

- I have the right to say “no” to God.
- I grow best when everything I want is in order, if those things are absent, I cannot grow.
- I have the right to express my feelings, especially if I determine I have been wrongly treated or inadequately rewarded.
- I have the right to use my time in whatever way I choose.

Here are some basic entitlements that will stunt or eliminate our growth1:

- I have the right to choose who I will talk to.
- I have the right to be critical.
- I need to have a position that is very visible.
- When it comes to discipline, I choose when to reward myself.
- I will do it as soon as other conditions are met.

Don’t be fooled if you look at this list and think, “That’s not me.” We all have some form of entitlement at some level the Lord would love to rid us of. If we think we’re free from entitlements, then we’re fooling ourselves. Oftentimes entitlements are rooted deep within our thought processing and actions. We might not even realize they’re there until we search out for them!

Don’t be afraid to look into your own life and ask God to search your heart—and be completely open to what He will reveal! It’s not shameful to have sin revealed, and then be able to confess the sin. It’s actually very freeing and allows God more access into our lives. Just think of it this way, when sin is revealed and confessed we get a greater portion of God! Now, why wouldn’t we want that?

1 You can find more about entitlements in the Freedom Resource Manual published by Revalesio.

No comments: