Psalm 45:10-11, 13-15

Listen to me, O royal daughter; take heart to what I say. Forget your people and your homeland far away. For your royal husband delights in your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. [...] The bride, a princess, waits within her chambers, dressed in a gown woven with gold. In her beautiful robes, she is led to the king, accompanied by her bridesmaids. What a joyful, enthusiastic procession as they enter the king's palace!



Ultimate Blog Party 2009

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Practicing Hospitality: Chapter 4

Here we are on chapter 4 already--halfway through the book! I'm still enjoying it and it's really encouraging me to practice hospitality in my life and family, while still broadening my view. For the book discussion visit Passionate Homemaking.

The standout point for me was that orderliness is the goal, not perfection. Also, I thought it was a good point in having a guest ready home and a right perspective of our possessions--they're to be used.

Now, on to the discussion questions:

1. How can you become a planner of generosity?
For me, I've been thinking (and am now planning) to invite people over to our house twice a month--a group event and then one-on-one with another couple or family. For the group event maybe a game or movie night and invite 3-4 people (possibly have them invite a friend too as a way to meet new people and get to know acquaintances better).

2. How can you begin to change you perspective to view household management with an eternal purpose?
It's not just about my desire for a neat and orderly home, but preparation for sharing in God's kingdom. Being an open door, a safe haven, and refuge. Chaos and disorder rarely, if ever, feel safe and can make a guest--especially an unexpected one--feel like a burden and inconvenience.

3. What tips might you have to help maintain a more orderly and prepared home?
My tips would be:
  • have a couple of "go-to" meals that have been tried and tested with the ingredients stocked in your kitchen
  • have a cleaning schedule--having one has helped keep me sane even though I don't follow it religiously
  • daily or weekly schedule--I don't do this every day or week, but I do for days that there is a lot going on. It helps me not to forget something and breaks things into segments so I can see how I'm spending my time. Sometimes I feel like my schedule is jam packed but when I write it down I see I have more open time than I thought...usually.


No comments: